Measurements of Human Exposure to RF Electromagnetic Fields at 5G NR Base Stations (Classroom Training)
The main focus of the workshop is on the measurements and evaluation of high-frequency electromagnetic fields generated by 5G Base Stations to ensure compliance with RF exposure safety standards.
The workshop is divided in the following blocks. It is mainly aimed at persons regularly working in the field of RF exposure measurement and assessment, e.g.
- Employees of regulatory and licensing authorities,
- Employees of federal radiation protection authorities, environmental ministries and agencies,
- Occupational safety officers of mobile network operators,
- Personnel of expert offices for the measurement of electromagnetic fields in the context of personal protection.
The workshop will focus on the correct determination of the maximum possible radiofrequency fields generated by 5G base stations at the measurement location. In detail, the following topics will be covered:
- Important differences of 5G systems compared to 4G (LTE) systems.
- Influence of beamforming antennas on the exposure situation.
- Challenges for a correct exposure determination at 5G sites with beamforming (mMIMO) antennas.
Measurement and Evaluation:
- Measurement of actual 5G field strength level with a spectrum analyzer: Correct setting of the instrument.
- Possible strategies for the determination of maximum possible exposure.
- Determination of the maximum RF emission at 5G sites without mMIMO antennas.
- Determination of the maximum RF emission at 5G sites with mMIMO antennas.
- Comparison of frequency selective and code selective measurements
- Practical demonstration: Code selective measurement of SSS signal.
- Extrapolation of code-selective measurement results to the situation of maximum radiated power using the antenna patterns of broadcast and traffic beams.
- Some examples of measurement and extrapolation results at 5G sites.